Pedal & Paddle Paramedic Retreat
Ottawa Paramedics, Ornge Paramedics and County of Renfrew Paramedics are working together on an amazing adventure that they want you to be a part of. We are inviting all paramedics in Ontario to a pedal & paddle paramedic retreat for cycling and whitewater rafting.
On June 18th you will have the experience of hearing Dr. Manuela Joannou speak on mental health injuries and recovery as well as other speakers on mental health.
There will be a fundraiser party on Wednesday, June 19th with a live band.
There are four options to join us:
Contact Derek Davis at education@OttawaParamedics.ca if you need a custom solution to participate. I can't wait to have an amazing experience with you.
The primary purpose of this bicycle ride will be to raise funds to support paramedics in mental health treatment.
The secondary purpose will be to promote a healthy lifestyle, reduce mental health stigmas and to provide training to those who participate.
- To have minimum 40 riders
- To raise $5000 towards treatments for Mental Health
- To create a ride that is different than the current standard charity bicycle rides
This goal of this ride is to be exciting and create a team atmosphere that will help build energy towards more change in mental health outcomes and prevent paramedic suicide. We are creating a multi-day ride that will incorporate whitewater rafting and mountain biking as well as two days of road cycling to achieve an experience that differs greatly from other rides. We have put together an all-inclusive price which is very different from other rides and will provide the rider with a more satisfactory experience.
The ride is all-inclusive. It will include support, accommodations and food during the ride, at Wilderness Tours, on the rafting trip and mountain biking along with accommodations. There are very few rides that are "all inclusive". We are hoping this will allow for a very unique experience.
There are 4 packages to choose from:
- Full all-inclusive bicycle ride - $439 (PPAO members only $399)
- Full all-inclusive whitewater rafting - $339 (PPAO members only $299)
- Mental Health Symposium - $20 (PPAO members only $15)
- Live Band Party - $20 (PPAO members only $15)
Tuesday June 18th, 2019
- 0900hrs - Registration at 1630 Kinburn Side Rd, Ottawa, ON
- 1000hrs - Ride start
- 1115hrs - Lunch at County of Renfrew Paramedic Station
- 1300hrs - Rest stop with washrooms at Storyland Rd
- 1430hrs - Arrival at Wilderness Tours
- 1530hrs - Mental Health Symposium
- 1900hrs - Dinner at Rafters
Wednesday June 19th, 2019
- 0700hrs - Breakfast
- 0800hrs - Whitewater rafting
- 1500hrs - Optional mountain biking
- 1800hrs - Dinner at Rafters
- 2000hrs - Live band
Thursday June 20th, 2019
- 0800hrs - Ride start at Wilderness Tours
- 1000hrs - Rest stop TBD with washrooms
- 1200hrs - Lunch in Calabogie
- 1400hrs - Rest stop TBD with washrooms
- 1630hrs - Arrive at Project Trauma Support for closing ceremony
- 1730hrs - Bus back to Ottawa
Ride Director - Derek Davis
Assistant Director - Matthew Smith
Assistant Director - Norm Robillard
Sponsorships - Derek Davis
Mental Health Training - Dr. Manuela Joannou of Project Trauma Support
Rest Stop Organizers - Brian and Jean Davis