New! Paramedic Medical Malpractice Insurance
Insurance Program for Ontario Paramedics
This new Medical Malpractice program was developed in partnership with Lloyd Sadd Insurance Brokers Ltd, the OPA and the Alberta College of Paramedics.
This national program meets and exceeds the requirements of all jurisdictions in Canada. This is the only Medical Malpractice Insurance specifically created to protect paramedics and paramedic students with $5 million in coverage for only $65/year + $4/technology fee. If you are performing controlled medical acts on patients, you should carry comprehensive protection in the form of this new nation-wide Medical Malpractice insurance policy.
This program ensures you are personally protected, while working for your employer, as well as the additional contexts of healthcare (noted below) up to a limit of $5 million in Medical Malpractice Liability.
IMPORTANT: This program offers different coverage than your existing Paramedic Legal Protection (LEI) program that is included with your membership. Both types of insurance are important and protect you in different ways.
What is Medical Malpractice insurance?
Medical Malpractice, also known as "Errors and Omissions Liability" or "Professional Liability" responds to claims arising from your work as a Paramedic. More specifically, it responds to third-party claims of negligence on your part - whether actual or alleged - during the course of your work as a Paramedic.
The policy responds to claims of damage caused by the administration of professional services, services or care rendered incorrectly, or the failure to administer care when it is required. It also includes coverage for legal expenses associated with investigating and defending the allegations.
What does Medical Malpractice cover?
This Medical Malpractice insurance program from Lloyd Sadd was specifically designed for paramedics across Canada and is the most comprehensive program in the country. It covers the following:
- Professional Liability/ Medical Malpractice Insurance
- Coverage follows the paramedic while working for their employer and outside of their employment if they are acting within the approved scope of practice (Good Samaritan Act)
- $0 Deductible and $5,000,000 per claim
- Legal services hotline available to all policy holders and is unlimited
- $69 per year
- Policy runs on an annual renewal date of January 1
In addition to frontline paramedic practice this program also provides coverage for paramedics working in the following additional contexts of healthcare:
- Clinical settings (family medicine, palliative care, primary care, street outreach, sub-specialty services, vaccine clinics)
- Community Paramedicine
- Long Term Care settings
- Interfacility Transfers (ground, fixed wing, rotor wing)
- Remote Communities (all jurisdictions of the far north)
- Hospital Settings (including offload delays and offload paramedics)
- Special Operations (including Tactical, Marine, Bike and Search & Rescue units)
- Special Events (event medical at public and private events)
- Medical and trauma care under the BLSPCS and ALSPCS (all 9-1-1 emergency calls)
How are you protected?
This Medical Malpractice policy provides:
- $5,000,000 Per Occurrence Limit with a $10,000,000 Annual Aggregate to a member if they are named personally in a lawsuit relating to their actions as a paramedic
- Coverage is provided if the member is a contractor
- With the member programs, the members are prompted to advise of any claims prior to renewing or purchasing coverage. Helping remove this risk of their employer not promptly reporting a loss
- This policy would provide coverage if the member was in a situation outside of their employment, that required them to provide a paramedical service. E.g.at a sporting event
- This policy would assist the member with guidance through a complaint being investigated by their regulator and assist in this process from start to final adjudication.$75,000 coverage per occurrence up to $200,000 per year.
- This policy provides the member access to free legal advice with years of experience dealing with and guiding members through various regulatory complaint situations
- Additional coverage agreements are included that would not be available through their employers policy.
To learn more about this program and the amazing prices we put together for all paramedics and paramedic students in Ontario, please check out the following brochures: